SPICY VEGETARIAN TACOS
By Lisa Turan
Servings: 5 servings of 2 tacos per serving
Total time: 30 min.
These tacos are a refreshing plant based alternative to a quick and easy weeknight dinner. Easy peasy, and no cheesy!
1 cup uncooked lentils, rinsed and drained
2 medium white onions (2 cups chopped)
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ fresh jalapeno, diced
1-2 tablespoons cumin
1 tsp. paprika
Sea Salt and black pepper to taste
2 cups vegetable stock or broth
10 6in. gluten free, non-GMO corn tortillas
Jicama, peeled and sliced into strips or shredded
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Bring the lentils and 3 cups of water to a boil in a medium sauce pan. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 20 min. Lentils should be tender. Drain and set aside
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, water sauté the onion, garlic and diced jalapenos by adding a tablespoon or 2 of water just to keep the veggies from sticking. Stir frequently until onions start to turn brown and translucent.
- Add the lentils, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper (homemade taco seasoning!) to the saucepan, mixing well.
- Slowly add the vegetable stock/broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Drape the tortillas over two bars of the oven rack so the sides hang down, cook until crisp, 5-7 minutes.
- Remove your homemade hard taco shells and spoon in your lentil filling and add toppings of your choice!